Image Map

2.02.2013

As Sisters In Zion: Sister Ervin


All righty! Here's the next sister! :) If you would like to be featured, you can message me on Facebook, email me at k.lynn.anj@gmail.com, or just comment on this post and I'll get you the questions! You can also contact Mo of xoxo, mo :)



Sister Ellen Ervin
Called to serve in the Italy Milan Mission

Did the age change affect you?
As far as timing goes, the age change didn’t affect me. However, it has greatly touched my heart to see how many wonderful women have jumped at the opportunity to serve as soon as possible. 
The day the announcement was made, I was working through conference. It was a terrible day at work and I was training to new workers on one of our busiest days. I ended up having to stay late to help them out and by the time I was on my way home, I wasn’t really in the mood to be happy about anything. Because I was stuck in my own little miserable bubble, I didn’t realize how my mom’s face was filled with joy. She finally said, “Ellen are you ready to hear one of the most incredible announcements I have every heard the Prophet make?” She started to cry as she recalled to me the changes and the spirit that she felt.

At first I was just stunned and I didn’t really know how to react. I looked down at my phone and realized I had dozens of messages from friends sharing the news. I pulled up the video of conference so I could hear the announcement in the Prophet’s own words. I will never forget the spirit I felt as he said those precious words. Although it did not change when I would be serving, it is giving me the opportunity to serve with sisters I would not have otherwise. Already having talked to several sisters who I will serve alongside, I am so thankful that this change was made. Their faith is astounding and I am humbled by their beautiful testimonies.

Did you always want to serve a mission? Why/why not?
When I was a little girl, my mother worked in the church office building. I remember quite vividly coming to meet her at work and seeing the sisters on Temple Square. I wanted so much to be just like them, for their kindness was truly unparalleled. However, throughout high school my mind changed and I was more caught up in my future career. I also wasn’t confident in speaking about something that meant so much to me. It wasn’t easy for me to share something so close to my heart.

During my first year of college, one of my roommates was preparing to go on a mission. We were both music majors and so we spent much of our time together as almost all of our classes ended up being the same. As I watched her prepare and studied Preach My Gospel with her, I realized that I truly did want to go, but I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to. I would pray, read my Patriarchal Blessing, and then pray again, hoping the answer would jump out at me, but no answer came. Eventually I realized I was getting a very clear answer, I just didn’t comprehend it. It was my choice. The Lord was leaving the decision entirely up to me and either choice would be fine with him. I struggled, but because of the struggle, I knew serving was not only what I wanted, but also pleased the Lord.

Where did you want to be called? Why?
My first choice was Italy, specifically the Milan mission. I’ve studied opera extensively and am deeply inspired by the Italian composers. I didn’t think I’d ever get called to serve in a place that meant so much to me. I didn’t tell anyone I wanted to go to Italy, because I felt if I talked about it too much, it would never happen.

When people asked me where I wanted to serve I would tell them my second choice, Ireland. I always thought serving in a place your ancestors came from would be very spiritual. 

Was your call surprising? How do you feel about it?
When I read my call, I couldn’t process it. In fact, if you watch the video, you will realize I have trouble saying it. I have been called to serve in the Italy Milan Mission. There are not words to express how grateful I am and how blessed I feel. My nonmember family and friends could not believe the Stake President and Bishop did not recommend me to serve in Italy. God knows us and he calls us to the place we are supposed to go.

Share an interesting missionary experience or story.
My story serves more as an explanation of God’s ability to care for us at all times. He will watch over us as we serve as well as over those we are serving and he will guide each and everyday if we are doing our part.

I was on my way to Rexburg for my first semester of college. My mom came with me and we shared a very tender experience along the way. It was about four hours into our drive and we had another ten to go. We were coming up on a rest stop and a few miles before my mom and I both decided we didn’t want to stop. I realized she turned and I was confused. She told me she just decided she needed to stop. I didn’t realize think much about it and we got out of the car. While we were walking towards the restroom, we came to a fork in the sidewalk and I decided to take the long way around. We were walking up the hill and I saw something next to the picnic table. It was a tiny little kitten with a leash stuck underneath the bench. The kitten was obviously malnourished and as I sat down next to it, it jumped in my lap. My mom went to find some water and some crackers. The kitten drank the water within seconds. As my mom sat next to me I just looked at her with tears in my eyes. She simply said, “ok.”

We took the kitten with us. We didn’t know what we were going to do with the kitten but we couldn’t just leave her there. It was kind of a scary thing, because we were going 800 miles and we wouldn’t be going through any big cities for another 500 miles so we didn’t know how we were going to find a place for her. A few miles down the road there was an exit that didn’t look very promising, but I asked my mother to get off anyway. We found a gas station and bought some cat food. My mother asked if they knew of any animal shelters around and it turns out there was one a few miles down the road. We got there, however the shelter didn’t open for another hour. We decided to wait, because we didn’t know how long it would be before we found another place to stop.

About fifteen minutes after stopping another car drove up. It was a volunteer at the shelter and they went ahead and let us drop off the kitten. While we drove away I started to cry. I knew that God had given me this opportunity because I needed to know he would look out for me. We weren’t going to stop, but we did. We followed the spirit and we not only found a kitten but also a place to take it within an hour. It seems like such a simple story, but it has great significance for me. As we leave to serve the Lord, there will be many times we don’t feel adequate or we feel downtrodden. In those times the Lord will always lift us up. When we do what we can, he will always supply the res
t.

Why are you serving?
I am a very lucky person. My mom had great friends who shared the church with her. The first time, she wasn’t ready to hear it, but a few years later she was and those first experiences built upon her testimony. Because of this, I have grown up with a loving parent who always strove to give me a solid foundation. It is my hope that in some small way, I am able to give hope to those who might be searching for answers.

Any advice for future sisters or girls still deciding?
Pray often. Realize that this is a decision between you and the Lord. Yes, listen to the advice of your family and friends, because they know you well. But don’t ever feel like you have to serve because others expect you to.

Go to the temple as often as you possibly can. Before you receive your endowments, go do baptisms. Go and pray while you’re there. You will feel closer to the Lord in the temple then you will anywhere else. It may well be at this time you are able to decide whether you truly want to go. After you receive your endowments, keep going. This will bring you great strength and you will need all the strength you can get.

Any other thoughts?
"Faith is the power, obedience is the price, love is the motive, the Spirit is the key and Christ is the reason.” – President Faust





--Sister Ellen Ervin

You can keep up with Sister Ervin on her blog here! For more information on the Italy Milan Mission, you can also check out President and Sister Wolfgramm's blog for the mission here!

The next post will be sometime next week! Not sure when yet, but it'll come! :)


1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this. It makes me so excited for dang February 20th to get here! I have been called to serve in the Salt Lake City South Mission, Spanish Speaking. my blog is www.diaryofasistermissionary.blogspot.com if you want to check it out, and I would love to me featured, but I feel kinda weird asking. anyways, Congrats on your call!

    ReplyDelete