Image Map

1.30.2013

As Sisters in Zion: Sister DeGraw


So Sister Taylor got her wisdom teeth out last week and has, thus, been under the weather, and I just started a temp job... Our schedule is a little off. Haha. Anyway, here is the next sister! Pictures and/or video to come later, when Morgan is up to sending them to me. :)



Sister Sarah DeGraw
Called to serve in the Germany Berlin Mission


Did the age change affect you? If yes, how long did it take you to decide to go? Did you always want to serve a mission? Why/why not?
I always considered going on a mission, but I never really committed to it or felt the need to go. It was more of a I'll go when I turn 21 if it feels right and growing up, I left it at that. I turned 20 this past summer and started to think about it more. 

On October 2, I went to the temple with my roommate and her older sister. It was great, of course, but I felt kind of rushed. The next day, I felt this overwhelming feeling that I needed to go back before conference because I needed to hear something that I hadn't heard the night before. I had a crazy schedule and the only time I could go was really early Thursday morning. I got up crazy early (I don't like mornings haha) and went. I remember I was reading Moroni 7 and looking back I have no idea how this impression/my feelings even came from reading that chapter, but I had this unbelievable HUGE impression that I needed to serve a mission immediately. I thought that it was odd and out of nowhere, but it felt so right. I talked to roommates and my aunt about timing, school, etc. I wouldn't turn 21 until next summer, so I spent all day Thursday and Friday figuring out how soon after 21 I could go. I kept asking for my friends' opinions because I couldn't figure out why I felt such a direct prompting in the temple and so unhappy and uncomfortable when trying to piece it together with my plans I had already made in my life. It just didn't fit to go at 21. I was talking to two of my roommates Friday night just explaining all of it. My roommate had made a comment that was something like, "Don't you wish you could just go sooner than 21?"

Less than 12 hours after that conversation, the announcement was made in General Conference that lowered the age for a mission. I had to be at school that day, so I was planning on watching the sessions that night, but my dad texted me and was like, "Cool that you can serve a mission now if you want to." I had NO idea what in the world he was talking about and he had no knowledge of my past week with the prompting. I talked to him on the phone then I kept re-reading his text and my thoughts were exploding! About a half hour later, a feeling of peace came over me and I just knew. A feeling that simply said, "I said immediately. Go."


Where did you want to be called? Why?
My papers were turned in the beginning of November. I was supposed to get my call the week of Thanksgiving and was SO disappointed when it wasn't there that Wednesday! It wouldn't come the next day because of Thanksgiving, but thankfully it was in my mailbox the day after!
I was so excited to open it! By this point, I didn't really care where I was called, I just wanted to know haha. 


I had been trying since they made the announcement not to put any stipulations on where I wanted to serve. Much easier said than done! I really wanted to learn another language, but whether I learned one in another country or in the U.S., it didn't matter to me. Deep down, I had a desire to go French speaking since I took 5 years of it. I also took a year of German the same time I took AP French, but French was what I cared about. I had a roommate from the Montreal mission and thought it would be wicked cool to go there since I just love Canada, but obviously France was running through my head, too and how incredible it would be if I was called there (my Grandpa served in France). My dad served in the Japan Sapporo Mission and so I tried to picture myself speaking Japanese and it just made me laugh. I couldn't see it, but I do love seafood and I have heard of many people who are called to Japan if at least one parent served there, so I was like okay...maybe Japan? 

I tried to come to terms that if I was called English speaking, it would be okay since at least I wouldn't have a language barrier. But if that was the case, I still wanted to go to a place like London or Australia or Canada. I never had a place that I was dead set on not wanting to go to, though. Ultimately, I knew whatever my call said was the right place for me. My main desire was to leave earlier rather than later because I wanted to be home before the fall semester in 2014, but I was trying to realize how that was not very likely since it was already the end of November when I would receive my call. I also realized that if I did leave earlier rather than later, I would most likely go state-side since I didn't have a passport.

Was your call surprising? How do you feel about it?
The day after Thanksgiving, I opened my call with friends who were still in Provo and skype with my family. Surprisingly, I wasn't surprised at all when I read it out loud. All I could think of was how excited I was! On November 23, 2012, I was called as a full-time missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to serve in the Germany Berlin Mission. I was to report February 6, 2013 to the Provo MTC! I had a 10-week wait period which was only thing I was surprised about! I have two friends who served in Berlin (one was there when I opened my call!) and a friend and an uncle who served in Frankfurt. There was no way I can explain my excitement as I opened it. It's the best feeling in the world.


Any advice for future sisters or girls still deciding?
My advice to those who are thinking whether or not you should serve: be open to the possibility but don't feel pressured to go. Even with the huge influx of sister missionaries, it may not be what the Lord wants for you in your life. You can contribute so much to the church wherever you are. I would still encourage you to read Preach My Gospel. It's incredible.

To sisters who are going on missions:


If you haven't received your call yet, realize that no matter where you go, it's the right place for you. It's not anyone's call but yours. Also realize that it's okay to have desires to where you would like to go or language or timing. I was so comforted in the fact that although the Lord understood where He needed me more than I did, He knew I wanted to leave sooner rather than later and I will always be grateful that that was considered. The Lord cares about what you think even if you personally don't know everything that is needed for you. Another example would be my brother. He absolutely knew he did not want to speak any language but English. He served in the Washington Everett Mission and he absolutely LOVED it. And got to speak English. The Lord is aware of YOU. With me leaving so soon, I'm so thankful that everything just fell into place. Passport, visa, financial things, all of it...it falls into place. If you are meant to serve, serve. The Lord will provide. Remember that everything will fall into place if you trust in the Lord!


If you have received your call, when you start questioning whether you made the right choice, read your call again. It was the one thing that calmed my doubts because the feeling I got when I read it again was just as incredible as the first time. Also, I re-read my journal entries leading up to the announcement. It gave me chills to read how God knew before I knew that I needed to serve immediately. The Lord knows where you are meant to be, not just for your mission but in your life. Also, be yourself and be happy!!  In your journal, write one miracle you saw that day, two funny moments that happened that day, and three people you are grateful for (with at least two of them being people who are in your mission) and you'll realize that despite a day that may be really, horribly tough, there are always things and people to be grateful for.


Any other thoughts?
I leave in exactly 14 days {7, now, since I'm posting this later than when she sent it. :) } and couldn't be more excited! Good luck to all sisters and God bless!

--Sister Sarah DeGraw

Keep up with Sister DeGraw on her mission blog here! For more information on the Germany Berlin Mission, check out Sister Diederich's blog (here), if you haven't already! She has some really fantastic tips as well! Just remember to be cautious... She's a little unorthodox about some things... Hahaha. Also, for a more traditional approach - President and Sister Kosak's blog for the mission is here!

Stay tuned for the next post! There will definitely be one on Saturday - I've got it all ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment