Image Map

2.28.2013

As Sisters in Zion: Sister Peacock



We're getting down to the end here... I'm sad! Only a couple more after this cute sister!
In happy news though, I officially have TWENTY days until I leave! Haha.
Enjoy this lovely lady's story!! And be sure to check out her blog!



Sister Cheri Peacock
Called to serve in the New York New York South Mission


Did the age change affect you? If yes, how long did it take you to decide to go? 
It didn’t affect me age wise because I was 22. But it was during October’s General Conference that I decided to serve a mission. In a way, the age change did influence my decision. I kept thinking how lucky these young sisters were, but I realized I could still go, even at an older age.
Did you always want to serve a mission? Why/why not?
I can’t say I always wanted to serve. It seemed like an amazing opportunity and blessing, but I wasn’t sure it was for me. I was in a serious relationship at 20 and thought it would lead to marriage. When it didn’t work out (a month before I turned 21), a mission was the LAST thing I wanted to do. But, a year after we broke up, I realized a mission would bless my life more than anything else.
Where did you want to be called? Why?
I minored in Spanish in college and was hoping to use it on a mission. Although I studied abroad in Spain, there were also many stateside missions that interested me. I wanted to go to Boston, New York, a visitors center (like Washington, D.C.), or Spain.


Was your call surprising? How do you feel about it?
It wasn’t surprising at all. I felt I would be called stateside, though many people guessed South America because of my background in Spanish. New York was a place that had come to mind, and when I opened it, it was simply perfect. I LOVE the Big Apple and can’t want to share the gospel. The only surprising part was my departure date. I opened my call Dec. 6 and wasn’t to leave until April 3. I assumed that because I was older and had my availability date as Dec. 14 that I would leave MUCH sooner, but it’s all in the Lord’s timing, as I’m learning.
Share an interesting missionary experience or story.
In college, I had a friend who grew up in the church but was inactive. We became better friends over two years and he was able to confide in me. I was scared to invite him to church or bring up the church because I knew he was inactive. Being in Utah, I assumed he knew where the institute was and could go to church, if he wanted. I learned, through him, that sometimes it takes is a friend to invite you. I eventually invited him to institute and was SHOCKED when he came! He didn’t come every time with me, nor did he make it to church every Sunday, but he was willing to come. While he has not fully returned to the church, I know that by reaching out and being a friend, many will want to come unto Christ. He often told me that he noticed something “different” about me. He said that I seemed happy and that he wanted it too. People notice. Never forget the example you might be to someone, even if you don’t realize it.
Why are you serving?
I’m serving because I know the church is true. I have a testimony of the gospel and know that through the Atonement, we can be healed, saved, and made whole. I want other people to feel Christ’s love and I want them to know that they can be with their families forever. I want to bring the peace of the gospel into others’ lives.
Any advice for future sisters or girls still deciding?
Deciding to go on a mission is personal. It’s not mandatory and you shouldn’t feel obligated to go just because you’re 19. In the same respect, if you want to serve a mission and feel that you can’t because you are older, GO. That was the best advice I got as I was deciding to serve. It doesn’t matter WHAT age you are. You can always serve the Lord. Make it a matter of prayer and service. He’ll answer you.
Any other thoughts?
I blogged more in depth about my mission experience. You can read it here!

--Sister Peacock

For more information on the New York New York South mission, check out Elder Hogge's mission blog!

1 comment:

  1. Cutie! Love you Cher! So fun that you were on here! Sisters forever!

    ReplyDelete