Image Map

2.21.2013

As Sisters In Zion: Sister Thorn




Sister Cortney Ragene Thorn
Called to serve in the Baltic Mission


Did the age change effect you?
No, I am 23 so the age change had no effect on me. I am super excited to see all of these young sisters going out, and I am happy that I will get to share in their enthusiasm to serve.

Did you always want to serve a mission? Why/why not?
I am a convert to the church and was baptized of March 17th last year. Once I started teaching with the missionaries I knew that serving was definitely something that I wanted to do. I spent 5 years trying to find a church that was right for me, and have visited about every church you can think of, so when I finally found the gospel, I knew it was something I had to share with others. Before joining this church I went on multiple short term mission trips and have always loved teaching and helping others.

Where did you want to be called? Why?
After I submitted my papers, I never prayed for a specific location, I only prayed for a challenge and that God would show me the meaning of what it means to fully rely on him. I wanted to learn a language but I didn't really care which one.

Was your call surprising? How do you feel about it?
Yes! I was so excited. I had not even thought of the Baltic Mission as a place that I could serve and had never heard of Estonian. As soon as I read my letter I had such an amazing sense of peace. I knew that this was the perfect location for me, and that I will be able to share the gospel with all of the people of Estonia. The more I read about the mission the better I felt. God had listened to everyone of my prayers and my mission call showed me that.

Share an interesting missionary experience or story.
I was baptized in England, while working on my masters degree, so I would go out teaching with the missionaries quite often. I remember one of the first times I went street contacting running into someone of a different religion. While the Elders were rather quiet, I struck up a conversation, and the topic changed to the old testament. Because I had studied religion in university and taken multiple old testament classes I was able to combine OT scriptures with a few from the Book of Mormon, while I shared with her how important temples were to our church. It was then when I realized that God uses our strengths to speak to the hearts of men. After meeting her that day we were able to invite her to receive a few of the lessons and she was eventually baptized. It was so amazing to see that even though I didn't have the best knowledge of the Book of Mormon, I was still able to help her explain things by using my testimony and the Bible. 

Why are you serving?
I am serving because I know how happy I am to be a member of the church. Getting baptized was one of the best decisions I had ever made. After years of searching for the truth I am so ready (and excited) to share it with others.

Any advice for future sisters or girls still deciding?
Advice? Hum... Pray about it! Don't let anyone make the decision for you because if you do not have a desire you will not be happy and you will not be as successful. Once you decide to go, don't let Satan get you down, because he will try and try and try! I know from experience how hard it is once those papers have been sent.



--Sister Cortney Thorn

For more information on the Baltic Mission, check out Elder and Sister Davis' blog (they're a senior CES missionary couple)! Make sure to check out Morgan's latest feature as well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment