Image Map

2.16.2013

As Sisters in Zion: Sister Fastle


Mmm sorry this didn't get posted on Thursday! I work from 3:30 to midnight on weekdays and it makes me forget stuff... Often... Haha.
Anyway, this cute sister here is leaving next Wednesday! Good luck to her! :)




Sister Ashley Fastle
Called to serve in the Utah Salt Lake City South Mission


Did the age change affect you?
It did not affect me age wise, but it was the final "push" that I needed to go. Going on a mission was something that I never, ever planned, so making the Lord's will my will was a really big challenge for me. It took about year to finally submit my mission papers. The Lord's timing is everything.

Did you always want to serve a mission? Why/why not? 
I never wanted to serve a mission. Growing up, they were not cool in my mind. I never went to seminary, could quote scriptures or had a big testimony. I then went through some pretty significant trials and all that changed for me. I had perfect attendance in all of my Institute classes, started to feast on the word of God, and really developed my own Testimony. There is a saying that goes "Write your plans down in pencil, so God can erase them and put something in pen." I know my Heavenly Father has the most amazing plan for me. I just need to put my trust in Him.

Where did you want to be called? Why? 
When I submitted my papers, I realized that I was not going foreign because of health issues. That was something that was hard to adjust with. I really want to go and see the world, but I knew that was not the reason why I was submitting my papers. I wanted to be called to the South Carolina mission with all of my heart. My whole life I have had a very big fascination and almost obsession with the South. I just really wanted an excuse to say "y'all" every five minutes.

Was your call surprising? How do you feel about it? 
Two things I told myself growing up were, 1, I would never ever serve a mission and 2, I would never ever under any circumstances live in Utah. I honestly cried when I received my mission call. I thought there is no way I am going to spend 18 months in Utah. I have too many friends there, It's so cold, and nooo. But, I accepted my mission call and I have accepted it in my heart and I know that this is where the Lord needs me and I love it. The Lord knows both my strengths and my weakness. I know I will do great things there. 

Share an interesting missionary experience or story. 
After I received my mission call, I started to doubt myself. I knelt down and my asked my heavenly father in humble prayer if I was doing the right thing by going on a mission. As soon as I said "amen", the phone rang and it was my stake president telling me that I my report date was being pushed up a month. Heavenly Father hears our prayers and he answers them. 

Why are you serving? 
It's not some huge reason. It's quite simple actually. The Gospel makes me happy, really happy and I just want other's to know how much they are loved by their Heavenly Father. 

Any advice for future sisters or girls still deciding? 
Be a missionary now. Do not wait until you wear a name tag. You can do so much now for people who don't have the knowledge that we have. While I was working on my mission papers, my best friend was baptized. It was the most wonderful experience and such a testimony builder on how the Gospel changes lives. I will need that on the mission field. 

Any other thoughts? 
D&C 15:6 " And now, Behold I say unto you, that the thing which will be the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto the people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my father. Amen" 

-- Sister Ashley Fastle

You can visit this cute Sister on her blog here! To learn more about the Utah Salt Lake City South Mission, you can check out the mission blog here! Little trivia for ya - this mission is one of the highest baptizing missions in the church. True story! Neat, huh? 

Let me know if you'd like to be featured! I need more!

2 comments: