Image Map

2.24.2013

As Sisters in Zion: Sister Cooley


I realized I didn't link to Mo's last post! You can find it here! Anyway, I was going to post this yesterday, then ended up shopping for luggage/shoes/other necessities all day... It was kind of sad, haha. Here it is though!



Sister Emma Cooley
Called to serve in the Argentina Mendoza Mission


"Hey sisters!! I thought I'd tell you a little about me before I get into this Q/A business. :) My name is Emma Cooley. I live in good ol' Boise, Idaho. I am a hipster wanna be. I have an unhealthy love for sushi, cheese, and tater tots (but not together. gross!). I spend an embarrassing amount of money in thrift stores. And I am going to be a missionary in 37 days!!! :)"

Did the age change affect you? If yes, how long did it take you to decide to go?
Um, heck yes it affected me!! I turned 19 about 7 weeks after conference. I had the next four years planned out perfectly. I was working on getting ready for nursing school at BYU-I and pretending not to wait for a missionary. I knew how I wanted things to work out and it felt good to finally feel in control. And then Saturday morning Conference came. And those plans completely fell apart. After hearing the announcement, I was in complete shock. Immediately, I felt like someone had said "I need YOU and I need you NOW." And I panicked. Me?! A missionary?! No. I refused to think about it. I think I even actually said "no" out loud. I excused myself to make cinnamon rolls for my roommates and cry. While I kneaded the dough (probably a little more roughly than I needed to....) I came up with every. single. excuse. why I shouldn't serve a mission. And with every one, I got sicker and sicker. I seriously thought I was going to throw up. (sorry... TMI?) I eventually went back to watching conference and came back just in time for Elder Anderson's talk. As he spoke about trials of faith, I realized that I was needed. Immediately, everything fell into place. I was filled with excitement to serve. My call came 12 days before my birthday, and everything felt perfect. And I have never looked back since!
Did you always want to serve a mission? Why/Why not?
So, don't judge me. But I thought missions were for people who didn't get married.... Sorry!! But I honestly thought that I would be married (or at least on my way) before I turned 21. So missions were always going to come when I was a little old lady.
Where did you want to be called? Why?
I've had some health challenges in the last few years, and I figured that those would keep me stateside. But, if I were able to go foreign, I hoped to go somewhere "awesome" so that I could brag about my mission call. I actually had several dreams that I got called to the Finland Helsinki mission, so I thought that was a possibility.


Was your call surprising? How do you feel about it?
First of all, seeing that big white envelope for the very first time.... there are not words to describe. I was completely surprised at being called to the Argentina Mendoza mission. In the video, you can actually see on my face when I skip ahead and see where I am going.... my eyes get HUGE and I swear my heart leaped out of my chest!!
Share an interesting missionary experience or story.
Hmmmm. I think one of the biggest missionary experiences I had was actually during Conference weekend. I had a friend from high school that was visiting me in Rexburg. She isn't a member but has always been fine with my mormon-ness. She woke up just after the Saturday morning session finished- I was a tearful, snotty mess (sorry.. more TMI?). She thought someone died. Hahaha :) I explained that they had changed the ages for missionaries and that I felt very strongly like I was going to serve. I was SUUUUUPER nervous to know how she would take this, but she was SO incredibly supportive and excited. That night, we went to Idaho Falls to celebrate. We drove to the temple and went to the visitors center. It was neat to have an opportunity to explain to her what I would be doing for 18 months and some of the things I would be teaching. She has been very excited and has asked more questions than I think she would have.
Why are you serving?
Um. Because I was told to. I know that probably sounds lame, and I am excited, but I really don't know if I have an actual reason yet. I think the closest I have to a "reason" is that Heavenly Father loves me. And to know that makes my life more complete. If I can help someone else understand that there is a God, a Father in Heaven who loves them and who cares about them and who wants them back, then I will have done my job.
Any advice for future sisters or girls still deciding?
Future sisters: hang in there. I know how tough it gets. And how it feels like time stops. But just keep hanging on!!! If you need support, reach out to the girls on the facebook page! Talk to other RSM (returned sister missionaries) in your ward/family. Hang in there!!!! He needs you to serve him. Read Elder Holland's talk from October 2012.
Girls still deciding: Pray your hearts out. If you still don't know, pray more. Study it out in your mind. And be willing and ready to accept the answer you get. If the answer is "no" or "not yet" accept it and keep going. If the answer is "yes" then accept it and get going! Either way, say thank you and continue to rely on Heavenly Father. He knows the way. I pinky promise.
Other thoughts?
For those of you who stuck through the whole thing, congratulations!! You get a prize. That prize is called.... feelings of accomplishment. If you have questions/comments/happy thoughts, leave a comment. Otherwise, go get yourself some tater tots. Hoorah for Israel!!!
--Sister Emma Cooley

To find out more about the Argentina Mendoza Mission, check out President and Sister Avila's mission blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment