Image Map

9.15.2014

jacob 7:27

Family -

Well, I can't say I thought this day would actually ever come. It always seemed like such a far-off idea that I didn't think very much about how it would feel. Now that it's here... I can't say that I'm enjoying it very much. As people have asked these last few weeks about how I feel, I've been honest - conflicted. I'm excited to see you all, but I'm going to miss this work so much! However, I must admit that I am really glad that taking off the tag doesn't mean that missionary work ends. It just means that it changes.

This week was really weird. Not in a bad way, just... Unusual. We had some incredible miracles, but I'll be the first one to say that they were nothing we were expecting. We received some realllly incredible revelation for Hans at the conference with Elder Ballard on Thursday. We can see the light of Christ shining in Mellonie's eyes... And so can the members. We went to Ward Council for the first time. We had an 48-hour exchange during which my dear Sister Verdegem survived a 9 hour trip to the hospital and all four of us sisters saw that there is no such thing as coincidence. We watched the selflessness of a nervous Elder Rozendaal as he leaped into action to help an injured man. And Anthony, who I met with Sister Clement on exchanges last transfer, agreed to be baptized on the 29th of November. It was an incredible week. An amazing last full week.

Upon thinking about what the most memorable experience of my mission might be, I quickly realized that because I've had so many incredible experiences, it's hard to choose just one. I decided I'd like to share the common element in all of them, which is the healing power of the Atonement.

I've seen it countless times. In Dordrecht I watched a Moroccan man, Boumedian, be reduced to tears by the beauty of the Plan of Happiness. I watched him as he tried to find another job to replace the one he had selling alcohol at a concert venue after we taught him about the Word of Wisdom. In Deventer I watched a recent Afghani Christian convert, Latif, agree to attend General Conference the day that we met him. The next day I listened, amazed, as he told us he wanted to be baptized. In Turnhout I watched Jobe, a reckless, dishonest Gambian man, turn into a selfless, honorable citizen. He turned his life around - by the last time I saw him, he was even picking trash up off of sidewalks. And last, but not least, I've watched the transformation of 15-year-old Mellonie as she turned from a closed off, ghost-obsessed know-it-all to an eager, sweet young woman who's becoming more and more prepared for her baptism every day.

My most memorable experience, then, is the thread that connects all of these stories and the many others I could share. It's the Light of Christ that began to shine in their eyes. Their countenances changed as they accepted Christ's atoning sacrifice and used it to help them become whole again.

I am so grateful for the opportunity I've had to watch that healing process. I know that the Atonement works. I know that not just from seeing others use it, but from using it myself. I'm so grateful that it applies not just to the big things, but also the little ones. It's been an incredible blessing to be able to share that, full-time, with the people here in the Netherlands and Belgium. I have felt Christ's love for the people here, whatever their nationality. I know that He loves us more than I or any of us can comprehend. I'm grateful to know that He loves me!

I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is truly Christ's church restored to the earth. The Spirit has confirmed that to me so many times as I've been out here in the field. I know that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God, and that the Book of Mormon is God's word.

I'm grateful for all I've experienced out here, and for all of the incredible people I've met. I would not trade this mission for anything in the world. I love my Savior, Jesus Christ. As said in D&C 76:22, "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which [I] give of him: That he lives!"

I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Love,
Sister Anjewierden


Saying goodbye to "The Final Frontier." You served me well, my friend!

Zuster Verdegem, me, and Mellonie

Passing the torch. Okay fine it's a small Dutch Bible. :)

I love my Zuster Verdegem! She's going to be a great Sister Training Leader!

MARIO'S BROODJES. I will miss these so much.

Elder Rozendaal, Elder Toole, me, and Zuster Verdegem

No comments:

Post a Comment