Image Map

3.05.2013

come listen to a prophet's voice



I am so blessed in so many ways, but one really neat blessing is living in the same stake as President Henry B. Eyring! From time to time he shows up at firesides and things. Recently he even showed up in my ward... I shook his hand and talked to him about my mission call!

A couple months ago, I was able to attend a Missionary Preparation class where he spoke. It was an incredible experience! I was going to write about it then, but it was the same day I wrote this (it was just a spiritual high kind of day) so I'm just now getting around to it...

Anyway, I'd like to share some of that experience, and what he said.


The first thing I'd like to mention is that President Eyring literally always has a smile on his face. And I'm not talking a little smile. This is an outright grin. It's one of my favorite things about him! His happiness is contagious, and the Light of Christ truly shows in his countenance. I want to be like that!

He started off his talk with a simple enough idea - the work is done through love. If we do not love the people we are serving and teaching, we will not be effective. The Spirit works through love. He went on to introduce to us the three "W"s of missionary work.

1. Witness: 
We need to be a witness of God at all times, in all things, and in all places (Young Women theme, anyone?). We need to gather evidence from our lives and the lives of others to build a firm testimony. We need to be unshakable.
2. Work: I love this work - and it is work. --President Ezra Taft Benson
Satan does not want us to be successful, and he will not let us have things easy. It will be hard. We must fight hard against him - Be steadfast and immovable.
3. Worship: The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise. --John 5:19
We must show our Heavenly Father and Savior how much we love them through not only our words, but our actions. This is done by following their examples; by taking the name of Christ upon us and living like He did. It is important to remember that we need to be going for the Lord. Not for ourselves, not for our families, not for our mission presidents.

He also mentioned that women have the gift of being able to love more deeply than men, and that we should take use it!

I wish I could share the whole talk, it really was fantastic. I am so grateful that I was able to go and hear him speak! I know that He is truly called of God, as are all of our leaders. I am so thankful for them and for all the hard work that they do to help the work move along.

The Church is true, folks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment